View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

Yat: Last year we floated the Green River below Flaming Gorge the weekend of May 21-23. The water was still at the winter flow of 850 CFS and we had a great time. The forecast was for around 50 degrees and of course it snowed on us. We went over there about the same time the previous year and the same thing happened, so bring cold wx gear regardless of what the forecast says. We had some really great fishing catching mostly 14-18" cutbows, cutthroats and rainbows with a few browns thrown in. The folks at Trout Creek Flies is where I get my info on current conditions and usually buy a few flies. Green River Fly fishing Flaming Gorge, Utah, Utah flyfishing Guides, Utah Fly fishing Guides, Trout Creek Flies - Your Complete Green River Guide Service - Rocky Mountain Fly Fishing, Emmett Heath, Fishing I noticed last year they weren't keeping the web site up to date like they did when Denny was alive, so you might call them later in the spring to see what is up.
The week following our trip they were planning on raising the water level to 3,000 CFS to flush it out. On our trip there was lots of floating algae in the water and we lost a number of fish due to it. You would be fighting a fish and feel a big chunk of algae hit the line, the fish would do a head shake and be gone. The big issue with your timing is when they will open the flood gates. The plan last year was to raise the water to 3,000 CFS for the flush and then bring it back down to the 2,000 CFS summer level, but instead, due to the heavy mositure in the mountains, the water level peaked at 6,600 cfs and didn't return to the 2,000 CFS level for a couple weeks. As you know we again are having a great water year so the question you will need to ask Trout Creek Flies is when do they expect to raise the water for the flush. When we hired a guide later in the summer to show us Red Creek Rapids on the B section, he told me the fishing was still good even at the high flows, but I'm guessing that the walking path from the dam to Little Hole was under water. Here is the trip report from last year: WY Fly Fishing

Larry