View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough
Default Cold day of practice!

So this week I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of waders to go with my Christmas rod and reel. I've been collecting flies and other misc. gear, and watching and reading everything I can find on fly fishing in general and fly casting in particular.

Today, I found that rarest of things in my life, some spare time! So I braved the snow and went out to get my line wet in the Meramec to do some casting practice. I actually didn't pay the snow much mind, I went up under a bridge and kept out of the wind and snow.

My casting wasn't all that bad to my uneducated eye, although it was a struggle to keep good form consistently. I would get a couple of good false casts and then find myself horsing the rod around and using my wrist.

I was doing fairly good, then as it was getting dark my casting started going to hell. I chalked it up to the darkness and cold, and packed it in. As I got back to the truck and broke down my rod, I noticed my rod guides, especially the tip, had turned into balls of ice!

I am going to try and get some real instruction here soon. I've got a couple of acquaintances who fly fish, one of whom is a guide in Montana during summers and builds custom rods. It was just too cold to drag either of them away from warm couches and cold beer when playoff football is on TV. Maybe they're just smarter than me.