View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is there a difference?

Since those little trout live in my back yard, and I didn't know the answer I studied. The answer "yes", and "no". The native Ca. Goldens were spread all over the country. Many placed in other sections of the Sierras. Most Goldens taken from their natural habitat have hybridized with the Rainbow (and can get big). There are big efforts to keep other trout species out of their habitat in the upper Kern creeks.

Native Golden: 5-7 inches; 10inches is large and rare; lots of spots on top and tail; leading white edge on fins tips; gold body; red lateral line; 10 dark spots on each side of the body. Just like the picture Frank posted.
*here's the tell-the darker and more pronounced the spots on the lateral line the closer to the genetic native.