View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I start trying to lock my wrist before it's too late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo342000 View Post
I am a beginner also. I also see alot of different opinions on this subject. Although everyone agrees that a loose wrist is very bad, there seems to be a mix regarding rigid or semi rigid wrist during casting.
I have not developed any habits at all yet. But I imagine that I will end up with whatever method is most comfortable to me. I do not see much pleasure in FF if I have to force myself to do something that feels unnatural.
You are correct, but if you look at the first portion of Tim's video you will see that he has a lot of folks come into his shop asking to fix their casting and the main issue is a very loose wrist, I think that is why a lot of instructors try to emphasis locking the wrist when working with beginner casters. Later on as you gain proficiency you can move to a semi rigid style. A few years back Lambster came out from Georgia with a friend and we floated the North Platte together. Lambster's friend was in the front of the boat and he cast with a very loose wrist, both Lambster and I tried to get him to tighten up the wrist some, but it was so engrained in his casting he couldn't do it. It was very scary in the rowers seat as he kept breaking that wrist and slinging flies by my ear. Later on in the week, he ended up burying a fly in his forearm and then later on in between his first and second fingers. On the float trip, I asked Lambster's friend to pinch down the barbs on his hooks before he nails one of us with his flies, but he just ignored me. Maybe the trip to the ER made an impression on him about pinching the barbs down.

Larry