View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Should I start trying to lock my wrist before it's too late?

I have been fly fishing for 25 years and taught myself with the help of casting videos when I first started casting I didn't pay as much attention to my writs, but I must have not had to slopping of wrists, because I casted fairly well right from the beginning. Over the years I now find when I pay attention to keeping my wrists rigid my casts get better, more effortless, and my arm becomes much less fitigued.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
You are correct, but if you look at the first portion of Tim's video you will see that he has a lot of folks come into his shop asking to fix their casting and the main issue is a very loose wrist, I think that is why a lot of instructors try to emphasis locking the wrist when working with beginner casters. Later on as you gain proficiency you can move to a semi rigid style. A few years back Lambster came out from Georgia with a friend and we floated the North Platte together. Lambster's friend was in the front of the boat and he cast with a very loose wrist, both Lambster and I tried to get him to tighten up the wrist some, but it was so engrained in his casting he couldn't do it. It was very scary in the rowers seat as he kept breaking that wrist and slinging flies by my ear. Later on in the week, he ended up burying a fly in his forearm and then later on in between his first and second fingers. On the float trip, I asked Lambster's friend to pinch down the barbs on his hooks before he nails one of us with his flies, but he just ignored me. Maybe the trip to the ER made an impression on him about pinching the barbs down.

Larry
Larrry: That is an awesome illustrative story. If you are going to learn to use a simi-rigid wrist for yourself do it for other peoples safety.

Hopefully he also decided to learn to cast. That or you could be like skippers that take out large fishing parties on the California Coast, if you don't listen to them they and their deck hands will take your rod and reel away until the trip is over and not allow you back on their boat ever again.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.