View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should I start trying to lock my wrist before it's too late?

Oddball,

If that is working for you, do it. If you start getting loops that are too open you are probably using too much wrist.

Jackster,

Here is the video those shots were taken from. I was demonstrating for a buddy that it was possible to present flies at a decent distance even with a breeze blowing into your casting shoulder by using a backcast presentation. And still get off the cast in under 6 seconds or so, starting with the fly in your hand.

It just takes practice. So I videoed the whole thing for him - including walking down the tape measure to the fly.

I can't tell how far out from my body my arm is. Probably not real far. I may have been adjusting the trajectory due to the fly line floating off course. I also was using a very open stance to make the presentation easier for stiff bones. There was a fair breeze blowing as you can tell from the flag and coconut trees.

You can see from the video that an observer would never know that I stopped the rod. This is always a problem when beginners are watching an experienced caster. They cannot pick up the stop because the more expeienced the caster, the quicker and less evident it generally is I think.

http://www.miterclamp.com/videos/qui...t_jackster.wmv

Cheers,
Jim