View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska in early July

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Larry
While based in AK did you ever fish the SITUK ?
Watched a TV show about the river and area, was wondering if it is as good as it sounds, Situk Steel.
Paul
Paul: I mainly fished the streams along the Parks Hwy, the Kenai and down by Deep Creek and then some remote streams north of the Brooks Range while on hunting trips. I'm kicking myself now for not taking a few fly out trips while I lived there, but I loved to hunt as much as I love fly fishing. I can tell you from what I have heard, that yes it is as good as it sounds. One of the college students we had working for us did a trip to the Situk in the spring one year with a group of five of his friends. They were on a budget, being college kids, and camped in tents/tarps along the river for a week and had a blast. The largest steelie they landed was 42 inches. He showed me a photo of that fish and several others, they were awesome. They all landed fish, but probably lost many more than they landed due to the overhanging brush. The wx sucked big time, as I remember it rained most of the days that they were there so it was a challenge to stay warm and dry, so if you go keep that in mind. I can put you in touch with him if you want more specifics on his trip.

Larry