View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Favorite Winter Fly Swap

I think I have had tiers block for the last few days..... I have my 12 flies tied up for the early season dry fly swap, and sat down to tie up my 'favorite" winter fly for this one. I started with a crispy critter, tied up a few, but then thought, you know I have caught a few nice fish on my turkey tail nymph, so I tied up a few of those. Then I started thinking that I have had some success with my holoflashback scud, so tied a couple of those, but none really said to me, this is your favorite fly. So, I put down the tying thread, and have just thought about it for a day or so. This morning I came to the realization, that my favorite "winter fly" was none of the above but is actually this other fly, simple, effective, can be fished in fast and slow water, has a little flash in it, and lots of movement. So, now that I know which whatchamacallit flies to tie, I can finally start working on this swap. Now, to complicate this even further, I sat down to start tying my favorites, and I don't have enough of the bead heads I need, so, now I gotta run to the fly shop. This could be dangerous ;0

I thought I would share, cause, I guess it was my idea to do this swap, and I was having a real hard time figuring out what to tie.

Dave