View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I guess the question here is what is the percentage of the guiding fee is the "going rate"; obviously, a certain dollar figure means more to a lower guide fee than to a higher. Am I right that Chris and Larry think a 25% tip is the appropriate rate? I don't know any other service business where a tip that high would be the going rate.

Now, again, I have tipped a guide at that rate (remember, I go solo with a guide, not as part of a group), but it has to have been an exceptional day. What does that mean to me? I will know something about the guide ahead of time, or I wouldn't have picked him/her. But I will also have mentioned to the guide just what I'm looking for in a day's guiding - not just a maximum number of trout, but learning some things I can use in the future, be it a hitch in my casting, learning the water since I may not be familiar with it but intend to fish it again by myself, suitable flies, depth that works in the case of nymphs, amount of weight for sub-surface, etc. One of the largest tips I ever gave was to a guide during a day when I probably got hits by less fish than ever before on that water (probably due to a weather change coming through); however, that certainly wasn't the guide's fault, and the fact that he was generous in giving me a good number of flies for me to try during the rest of that week I was fishing solo really impressed me, especially since so many guides cut off the fly they put on the leader at the end of the day (either to save the cost or because it's their "secret" fly).
In re-reading Chris and Larry's posting, I notice they are referring tipping when there are two anglers. Paying a larger tip (I assume their $100 tip is for both of them) makes sense when there are two anglers rather than just one, because obviously there is more work for the guide with two anglers. So I guess I really don't disagree with their guidelines for a two-angler situation.