View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price's LMB flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
will the hardware store sell polyrope in different colors? if i get white rope, is there any way to add color to it?

also, do yall think cutting marabou from the stem and tying that in would be a good substitute for schlappen? i did it the other day, it seemed to look just fine except i couldnt add as much material since i didnt have long hook shanks the recipe called for.
You can dye fly lines with RIT dye. I'll bet you can dye white poly rope as well. See here; Gary Borger Blog Archive Dying Fly Lines

I'll bet using Sharpie permanent markers would work for making multi-colored stuff like Fire Tiger patterns.

Marabou is less stiff than schlappen, but it is long. Actually, it may work better, because it moves like it is alive in the water. If you looked at the fly I pictured before, that was schlappen. Look at this fly, instead of schlappen it has marabou.
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
There's multiple different kinds of "poly rope" what you're after is polypropylene, rather than polyester.
If you look at the photos of the fly, it is clearly the hardware store poly rope. The macrame stuff would soak up water I would think, making the fly sink. I'd stick to the hardware store poly rope.