View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 AM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: casting problems?? new fly line

Hello johnny5wa,

Sounds like you are not giving your rod long enough to load up on your back cast in other words you a making your forward motion to soon. Take your rod out doors and strip off about 15 to 20' of line infront of you and try side casting while doing this watch your line unfurrel behind you as the loop comes to its end you should feel the rod start to load it is time to start your forward cast this is what produces line speed it is a timing thing that takes some practice till you get familiar with your new line I belive you are rushing your cast be shure when picking your line off the grass to be some what agressive in your back cast so you feel the rod load Cortland lines are very good I use a dynatip on my 4wt and it works great good luck and as always practice use a short line and watch your line and how it reacts to your back cast and forward cast and adjust your speed till you get a smooth loop on your back cast and forward cast from here you should be able to move to your over head cast with out a problem.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-