View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Virginia

Howdy from Ruther Glen, VA. After bass fishing for many years with bait caster and spinning rods I decided to try something new. The fact that the lakes are so crowded with pleasure boats, jet skis and bass fishers was a big factor in choosing to sell my Triton bass boat and buy a 12' Wilderness Tarpon kayak to fish small rivers and ponds. I do still use my conventional rods occasionally but I have truly fallen in love with my fly rods. I'm having more fun fishing for bluegill with a 4 wt rod than I've had in the last several years from a bass boat. My old bassing buddies can laugh and look down at me if they want but I find casting a fly rod from a kayak totally relaxing and feel more connected to nature than I have in years.

The things I hope to try this years are fishing for smallmouth (one of my all time favorite fish) on a few shallow rivers in my area and I hope to get a little casting done during the annual shad run in my area. I'm also hoping to mix a fly fishing trip in with my annual motorcycle trip this year but I have not decided what I want to fish for yet. For now I'm just waiting for the water to warm up and dreaming of things to come.

So if you live between Richmond and Fredericksburg Virginia and are looking for someone to fish with give me a shout.