View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wax on your Ferrules... what do you think?

I have never waxed/oiled/lubed the ferrules on my rods in any way but actually intend to on my spey rod once I get around to getting the thing. The ferrules on spey rods undergo greater stress than those on our shorter rods and thus would be easier to separate if waxed. Because I would also be taping the ferrules, I wouldn't be concerned about the chance that the wax could allow them to separate.

What I have read about using candle wax describes as both helping the rod stay together and also making it easier to separate. I don't fully understand how this works, but would love to learn more. I also wonder if the wax needs to be applied differently to graphite surface that have a gloss finish versus those that are more "satin" or fairly unfinished.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.