View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly line life expectency.

Don't forget to inspect them while fishing too.

Just yesterday, I was just off the reef edge running and drifting. I always cast out my line after a run to re-organize the coils on the deck of the skiff, and good thing too.

There was a large black mark in the middle of the WF belly, which turned out to be a burn mark from the ember from a smoke, either mine or my buddy's - both of us are addicted to the foul things. I pulled on it and it broke very easily.

So I wound up having to tie a new loop in the fat part of the belly with a couple nail knots and using the shortest head I have ever heard of and re-looping the leader.

We had already raised one fish, so I was slowly and deliberately hurring as fast as I could. Within minutes of being back in half-business, we raised another.

So another horror story was avoided through careful inspection. Check your lines and hooks frequently. It is embarassing to lose several fish in a row because you are fishing a fly with a very dull hook or worse one with the hook snapped off at the bend.

Of course, this kind of idiocy would never happen to you or me, but it's nice to remind friends about.

Cheers,
Jim