View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Have We Been True to "Convervation"?

Great Topic!

I think the one single thing we can all do that will most help conserve our fishing resources is to do all that we can to prevent the spread of whirling disease and mud snails.

After that, pinching down barbs, cleaning up after yourself (including tippet, leaders, shot, indicators, and food/drink trash.), and killing fish rarely will all help.

On the non-native species issue, you almost can't have what is known as American trout fishing without implanting of species. Brown trout didn't originate here, Rainbows aren't native east of the sierras, and most bass species pursued by sportsmen are not native to that body of water. On top of that, its likely that a majority of the lakes fished in this country only exist because we dammed up a river.

I think we should quit introducing non-native species to new areas, but I think it would do more harm than good to try to eliminate all non-native species that are currently living in new wild places, with a very few exceptions. (Snakehead, etc)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.