View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Unintentional curve casts with shooting heads

Looking for help here,

I am pretty new to the whole shooting head thing, but was giving it a try Saturday. The problem that I was having was that the front half of the head was not behaving the way I wanted it to. Its most common action was to land at a right angle to the casting direction. Sometimes this would happen with the rest of the line forming a question mark as it landed. Another problem I was having was that the front half of the head would kick over to fast and penetrate the water while the rest of the head was still flying forward.

I found that if I relaxed my casting stroke and just let the rod do the work, the curving problems decreased. Unfortunately, distance also suffered. If I put the "oomph" into the haul and not the cast, I got better distance, but still got some of the curving.

I suppose the help I am looking for is just a general primer on casting shooting heads, as well as any pertinent info on fixing the curving of my casts. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.