View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Unintentional curve casts with shooting heads

Doug,
The rod was ECHO's Ultimate Distance 5wt, super stiff, but I think I was overloading it anyway.

The head was a 24' section of the Bass Pro brand lead core shooting line in the 45lb test size. This is probably WAY too heavy, but I didn't put it on a scale or anything. Based on feel, I would guess it is somewhere in the 250-300 grain range.

On overhang, I found that with more than 3' of the shooting line out the tip I couldn't turn the head over with a roll cast and it didn't overhead cast well either.

Leader butt, probably 20-25 lb mono, as I cut the 30" of the middle out of a tapered leader and then had 18" of 8lb fluoro tippet onto that. The fly was a sz6 bead chain eye clouser.

Casting stroke, of excessive brawn and probably not stopping high enough. When I did stop high enough, that would often send the front half of the head plunging into the water. (rather like a tuck cast actually)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.