View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM

Lath McLeod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bream Fly Fishing - By Cliff Hilbert

Hello Mr. Hilbert,

I really enjoyed your article, "Bream Fly Fishing".

I have lived in Bozeman Montana for the last 18 years and flyfishing is a way of life for me. I grew up in Dallas and learned to fish from my grandfather in East Texas on a lake called the Pure Oil Lake or Rhine Lake.

My wife and I have been looking for lakefront property in East Texas for the last year and that is why am writing to you now. In my search for the perfect lake property I could not believe how many times your name surfaced in the record books. So it seems that you are an expert on many of East Texas's smaller lake. You can imagine how difficult it is to find property from 1500 miles away. We come home once a year and take a couple of days to look around but it's never enough time to do the research that needs to be done. My hopes are that you could offer an educated opinion on some good fishing lakes in the area. I am not totally against the larger lakes like Fork, Tawakoni, Palestine etc...but they seem to be more expensive and they don't offer the feel of knowing the water like a small lake does. Some of the lakes that seem to be what I like are Holbrook, Hawkins and Callender. Below I've listed some criteria that is a must, but beyond that I am open and very appreciative of any advice or information that you would be willing to give.

1. Good fishing!
2. Must be able to have a boathouse or dock
3. Nice scenery for my honey

CONCERNS:
1. Expense
2. Water level fluctuation
3. Who and how well is the lake managed

I don't know if you are ever up my way but I would love the opportunity to put you on the fish. Let me know.

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry about the MEGA-POST,

Lath McLeod