View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flytying tips and techniques.......

A neat little idea for removing your thread from a finished fly without having to pick up your scissors....

This is for Matterelli type whip finishers.
On the bottom of the straight end I have taken a small "Triangle" shaped jewelers file and cut a small "notch or V" in the end, shaped it from both sides,(tapering upward from the bottom of the notch) it does not need to be too deep of a notch to work.
All you want to do is make a sharp edge in the bottom of the notch.
Click the image to open in full size.

After you whipfinish your fly, instead of reaching down for your scissors, now all you need to do is take the other end of your whipfinisher and place the thread in the notch and push the tool against it and viola your done.

Another advantage to this is you don't have to worry about accidently cutting hackle off like you do with scissors.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*