View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default TIPPET SNOBS...7x, 15ft Really Necessary?

I've encountered all kinds of snobbery in life. You name the product; there is someone to tell you you have to have the biggest, smallest, lightest, heaviest, fastest, shiniest etc. I've heard this song and dance about tippet/leader size for several years now and I'm wondering how much if ANY at all credence I should put into peoples opinions on the matter. I've kind of unilaterally decided that I don't fish 7x; it is superflous, and rarely have I tied on a 6x anything. I don't feel that my fly presentation has suffered by putting my 18's and 20's (dry flies) on a 5x.

The guys at my local fly shop have helped to steer me to this opinion (and I think I have spent enough there to get an honest opinion), but others I go to will swear that they get refusals on 6x 12ft leader/tippet rigs because the trout sensed it. Should I give in or should I continue my rampage against snobbish tippet elitism? Looking for some educated opinions because my opinion is not the most educated and as of now I am content laughing at all of those people trying to fish with spider-web tippet, losing fish, and snapping flies off on blades of grass.

There is, after all, a 1X BRONZE HOOK sticking out of the bottom of every size 20 fly, and I'm supposed to worry about a transparent strand of tippet? It takes me 30 seconds to find it if I drop it while changing flies.

Is it just a "song and dance"