View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIPPET SNOBS...7x, 15ft Really Necessary?

I rarely use 6x, and I do mean rarely. When I do it's Fluorocarbon and I'm fishing to some picky spring creek browns. I've become a convert of using 5x and 4x almost exclusively for both nymphs and dries. Using a non-slip mono loop to attach the fly allows the use of a larger and stronger tippet for the smaller flies. I've used 5x for size 20 and 22 flies and use the loop to tie them on. The flies don't act like they're attached to a tree trunk and I've caught a lot of fish and haven't worried about losing a good fish due to tippet failure (good skills at playing the fish are required though). Another argument against the lighter tippets would be that of having to play a good fish to exhaustion in order to land it, thus putting the fish at risk of not recovering.

As a side note, I have modified most of my fly tying to include a wider gaped hook, such as a DaiRiki 125 emerger hook, for most, if not all, of my dries and nymphs, especially in the smaller sizes. Wider gape = better hookups. Give it a try.

Kelly.