View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: sharkskin magnum, pike/muskie or bass bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
cortland precision big fly-bass (2 taper design)
front taper-6'
body-7'
back taper-28'

cortland precision big fly-pike (2 taper design)
front taper-3'
body-7'
back taper-31'

scientific angler sharkskin or mastery textured magnum (2 taper design)
front taper-5'
belly 1-15'
belly 2-14'
rear taper-7'

scientific angler mastery bass bug
front taper-5.5'
belly-26.5'
rear taper-10'

scientific angler master pike/muskie
front taper-4.5
belly-27
rear taper-3.5

gathered some info on a few lines. the more i look at different fly lines for bass or pike/muskie, the more i read things like "short front taper allows you to turn over big flies with ease". is there a point where the front taper on a line designed to turn over big bugs could be too short? does this short front taper make a line less accurate or anything? does it inhibit casting distance at all?

cortlands bass line has a double taper design kinda like SA's SS and MT lines. i dont know anything about cortland lines though, never casted any of them. what do yall think about them?
The biggest thing a short front taper will mess you up on is roll casts and mending, for those applications the longer the belly the better. I doubt you'll be doing with a Pike line. The other issue with a short front taper is they tend to overload medium and slower rods in close. This shouldn't be an issue with a faster rod, something I would certainly recommend for picking up big Pike/Musky flies. But a short front taper puts the weight of the line out front making for easier shooting and double hauling.

Unless you have to have a floater, I would think long and hard about that Cortland intermediate. I have yet to put that line in the hands of a guide that didn't love it. I've always liked intermediates better with bass bugs and divers because it's easier to get the floating fly to dive when you pop it. I use that and the QD 400 grain when I need to get down over deeper weed beds on Lake St. Clair

Click the image to open in full size.