View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawaii Peacock Bass

I toss big flies for pike all the time. I have a 10 wt. that'll toss an 8" fly with the greatest of ease. I have a 12 wt I built for Tarpon and the size fish in that range. To big for Peacock Bass, and anything on a rod bigger than a 12 oughta have a bill on front end. I can throw these on an 8 wt. and they are 10 in flies.
Click the image to open in full size.
Same thing with these.
I even cast them on a spey rod.
12 wts should be for things like this.
I used to live in Hawaii, and trust me, you don't need anything bigger than an 8 for Peacock Bass, but if you get a ten you can use it in the salt as well. It will be a better all around rod for there. A 12 and bigger is for stuff like they show here
Fly Fishing Insider Newsletter featuring Mackerel Patterns, Sailfish, Bill Fish Flies