View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jason,

I'm not posting with any advice but I'm curious. I have 18 fly rods, the one in my avatar was built in 1964. Several others are older than that but I don't know the date. None of my grips have ever came apart. My 1979 Orvis Far & Fine has thousands of hours hand time and the rings are tight, so...............

Do you have any idea why the grip has failed on a Winston rod?

Ard
I've noticed that on my saltwater rods my grips get far more abuse. Mostly due to the amount of casting and false casting I do with them. The first 3-4 rings (where my thumb rests) probably get more pressure that they should. I also have a bad habit of sticking my fly there instead of using the perfectly good hook keeper that came with the rod.