View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jason,

I'm not posting with any advice but I'm curious. I have 18 fly rods, the one in my avatar was built in 1964. Several others are older than that but I don't know the date. None of my grips have ever came apart. My 1979 Orvis Far & Fine has thousands of hours hand time and the rings are tight, so...............

Do you have any idea why the grip has failed on a Winston rod?

Ard
I got it second hand; it had been used by an avid fisherman and probably saw a couple hundred days or more on the water. The top two rings or so just seem to have come unstuck (I am assuming that they are glued to begin with); either through wetting/drying, or continued pressure in the same direction. Im thinking that it will fish for plenty more time without actually coming apart, but it just bugs me that it gives a little. When I grab it right up by the end and squeeze it, it gives a little, and you can feel that the cork is not squeezing the blank beneath it really tightly. It also squeaks a tad if I grab it and twist; I guess the cork squeaking against the blank. I'm not saying that it has "failed" yet, but it could be on its way to failure over a couple of years. It was such a good deal, that I figured I'd get it and deal with the cork if it becomes more of an issue in the future.

Now I'm curious, I think Ill shoot Winston an e-mail and see if they have a standard charge for replacing the cork...It's too good of a rod to retire it, even if they want a small fortune, the rest of the rod is not beat up at all.