View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tfo rods..what's the difference?

MP...as usual excellent advice. I finally managed to hold and cast BVK. I would say that the rod is noticably lighter and casts with less fatigue, especially throughout the day. The fishing I do with my Ticrx is generally chucking streamers relatively short distances and I like the extra backbone feel. It is my go to with BVK would hold up to a 15lb coho in the 6wt whereas the Ticrx has held true to literally hundreds of 5-15 salmon.

It also sounds like the BVK isnt quite ideal for salt but there are maintenance methods to deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you are going to be spending 30 to 60 days on flats, you may enjoy the new BVK over the TiCr and TiCrX models. I have casted the 5, 6, 8, and 9 weight models. The BVK is over an ounce lighter, so your casting arm won't feel as fatigued by the end of the day. The rods can handle the heavy payloads (larger flies, heavier lines) that the other rods can, but the caster does not have to work quite as hard. The butt end feels plenty stiff to handle heavy loads from fish and well executed double hauls. I think that the BVKs rival some premium rods in performance.

The only thing that I dislike about the BVK series is that the 6 weight does not come with a saltwater reel seat and fighting butt, but that is just a personal preference.

MP

Edit: BVK prices are $224.95 for rods sizes 3 to 6 weight and $249.95 for rod sizes 7 to 10 weight.