View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: tfo rods..what's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you are going to be spending 30 to 60 days on flats, you may enjoy the new BVK over the TiCr and TiCrX models. I have casted the 5, 6, 8, and 9 weight models. The BVK is over an ounce lighter, so your casting arm won't feel as fatigued by the end of the day. The rods can handle the heavy payloads (larger flies, heavier lines) that the other rods can, but the caster does not have to work quite as hard. The butt end feels plenty stiff to handle heavy loads from fish and well executed double hauls. I think that the BVKs rival some premium rods in performance.
Dead on.

I fish our flats fairly often and a super fast rod is generally a hinderance, because its harder to get a cast off quickly.

You'll frequently be walking a flat with 12' of line out the rod tip and 30' dragging behind you or floating below you. You'll see a cruiser crossing in front of you or a tailing fish and need to get a cast off before the fish disappears. With a super stiff rod, you'll require more false casts or double hauling like a gorilla to create enough flex to feed line out quickly.

If you're standing on the bow of a boat, its often even more of an issue because that massive thing floating near them will frequently spook them quicker. The average cast to a redfish is probably 30' while wading and 50' from a boat.

The TiCR or BVK with matching line, or an overlined TiCR-X or Axiom all work well. The BVK is the lightest of those BY FAR.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.