View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Winter Fly Swap

All finished with a dozen of "Al's Rat", a pattern developed in the Allentown, PA area by Al Miller. It's an early season "imitate almost anything that's ready to hatch" pattern, that he's supposed to have come up with on the fly fishing only stretch of the Little Lehigh River just above Allentown.

I tie it a little differently than Al does. For me a "beadhead anything" beats the non-headed fly almost all the time; particularly if it's early-season. I also like the additional action that you can get from the yarn body. Here's the fly and the recipe:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Dai-Riki #270 nymph, #18, 3xl
Thread: Uni 6/0, camel
Weight: Lead, .010, 5 wraps at thorax
Body: Uni-Yarn, brown
Thorax: Hare-Tron, march brown
Head: Cyclops bead, 1/16", gold

Here's a video of Al tying this pattern.

Simple, but effective.

Mark, they'll be in the mail to you on Tuesday. PM me your address again - thanks.

Pocono