View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Distance limitations of a slower rod?

When I was the director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, I used to take old bamboo (calcutta as well as tonkin) rods, and even greenhearts and such to a friend, Bill Cairns. I would meet him at the Orvis casting ponds in Manchester. Bill worked at Orvis some years ago; one of his jobs was to start the Orvis fly fishing school.

Anyway, Bill would wiggle the rod a little, stick a reel and line from the bucket full of 'em we'd borrow from the Orvis fly shop, and usually on the second cast get the entire line out...if he thought the rod could handle it. Didn't matter the rod, fast, slow or indifferent. He is easily the best caster I've seen and (hero statement coming, you knew it would), I've hung out with guys like Mel Kreiger (best teacher ever) and Lefty Kreh (great caster, incredible story teller) and a bunch others.

My point is that I fully support the guys that have mentioned above that its more about your ability as a caster than it is about the rod IN MOST cases. I would not want a noodle on a flats skiff when the wind was howling in my face. If the rod feels good to you, you're good to go. me thinks.
Gary