View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM

EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Tyer magazine

Hello There-Sorry to add my two cents or should I say two pence to the discussion, but I was very disappointed with most of the american mags I reviewed when over there last summer. I found American Angler probably the best, but I suppose I'm a bit spoiled here in england as I buy three and subscribe to a fourth. All have lots of articles on all types of fly fishing-not just for salmon and trout and feature anywhere between thirty-fifty recipes each month. The one I subscribe to I enjoy the most "Total Flyfisher". The others are "Trout and Salmon" which I know is distributed to the USA, Fly Fishing and Fly Tying ditto, and "Trout Fisherman" which is also produced by T&S. They have questions and advice, readers letters and some tastey contests or "competitons" they call them. Just a thought! It may cost a bit more, but I think they may be worth it. What's even better unlike american fly mags these come out each and every month, not bi-monthly. Okay over here the costs average about 3.40( $5.30) and they'll cost more over there, but I think they're still great value.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

And just to add to the sales pitch the contests aren't all that hard as I've won some nice gear just using my fishing knowledge and my trusty pc when I'm stuck for an answer. In just under four years with different magazines I've won a Simms guide Jacket worth $600.oo, Specially made Total Flyfisher fly rod worth $90.oo, set of stillwater flies from Donegal flies worth $150.oo in their own wooden box, and six fly lines weights and types of my own choice and every little bit helps.