View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleeping bags and dome tents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi fyshstykr,

Oh boy, I love tents and tent camping. I have used many tents over the years and there are a few features you want to look for.

If you are going to do some serious camping or may get into a survival mode you need a good 4 season, expedition tent. The 4 season tents have better construction and uses better materials in most cases. Most 4 season tents use sleeves for the tent poles and they are much stronger than the hanger type. They also have a third or fourth tent pole for added strength. A 4 season tent is designed for snow loading and are way stronger than a 3 season tent. They are more weather proof but this can be a problem with summer camping. When they are buttoned up with the fly on you don't get very good ventilation. The floors are made with heavier material. Any tent should have a bathtub style floor.Never noticed the "sleeve"-vs-"hanger" thing till I read this, I will look for the sleeve type.
I have seen the bathtub style bottom, that really looks like the way to go.

I would like to have the open top option for viewing the stars, and that way the Bears can see what their gettin before opening the package. lol

A 3 season tent will have lighter poles and usually only use 2 poles. They use hangers instead of sleeves to support the tent rods. With a dog you may find that a 3 person tent is not large enough. If you check out the tents at Campmor look at the specs for head rood, and floor space. Tape out the floor space on some surface and sit in it with your wife. See how small the area is. A three person tent is really a two person tent with some gear storage. Make sure your wife knows she won't be able to stand up. If she wants to stand you will be looking at different tents.
A 4 person would probably fit our needs much better, especially when the dog likes to lay crossways between us.
The Eureka Autumn Wind may be a tent for you to consider. It has the third tent pole but uses hangers for the poles. They rate this a 3-man tent.

Aluminum poles are the best choice and available in 3 or 4 season tents.

Frank

A 4 season tent you might look at is the Eureka K@ XT Tent. You can see the sleeves used for the poles.

Eureka K@ XT Tent
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*