View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are your priorities when buying a rod?

I haven't bought a "factory" rod in about 15 years and even then I only looked at close-outs, both on-line and in shops. If a rod wasn't at least 40% off retail, I wouldn't even consider it.
Even for my home rolled rods, I look for discounted blanks and components.

At this point, the only rods I lust for are vintage collectibles.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

My greatest complaint about fly rods is the warranty system
It's a license to steal for both the rod manufactures and those who choose to abuse their gear, knowing that it will be replaced when it breaks.

Scrap the warranty system and it would drop the price of rods 30-40%
Then practice some self responsibly.
If you bust your rod.... fix it.
If you need to buy another, well you probably were going to anyway but without the jacked-up warranty prices, you can afford it.