View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Fox Statler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1 wt. line DT or WF

Personally, I think the only advantage to DT line is that you can turn it around when one end is worn. As far as casting distance, I have fished 2 weight rods for over 15 years. I bought the first 9 foot 2 weight blank that Kennedy-Fisher sold. I found that Wulff TT was the absolute best for any casting situation, whether it was casting the entire line or just a couple of feet. Rolling casting with a TT line is easier than blinking. For casting distance, with my Dorber 10 foot 1 weight, a tapered line is best because you are casting a head with a running line. The key to casting distance is line speed and DT lines can breakdown the rod by over loading it, especially if you have a fly on it and in the water (not the parking lot). Casting is not the only element in catching fish, mending is often more important than the cast. Mending a DT is harder than mending a WF because you are lifting more weight in the DT and the larger diameter line is held faster by the water's surface tension than a small running line. However, the easiest line to mend in again TT because it is always big line turning over or moving small line. Too bad Wulff doesn't make a TT one weight. If they do make a TT one weight line, I want to buy two of them.