View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
What kind of variegated chenille is it? Is it just yellow and brown or somethign flashier?

The past day or two I churned out a half dozen size 8 beadchain clousers with congo hair instead of bucktail, a pair of crappie looking flies I saw on another forum I regularly troll and Killy I tried some of those damsels, they are awesome and fun to tie. I knocked out seven.

I couldn't tell what all was on there so i just kinda did my take on them. I used black bead chain instead of what looks like melted mono, tied in on the bottom side of the hook. Then attached the marabou about the tail, twisted it and then wrapped thread up and back down it. For the back i just used a shinyish tinsel... I like my flies to have a little pizazz. Then I dubbed up and around the eyes. I tied three in olive, black and one in brown... I'm out of brown marabou.

They are awesome flies and think they will produce great for me this summer.
Lancer, glad you tried out some of those patterns. The damsel really is a fun fly to tie since its a bit different than what we normally tie. The chenille I use on the Big Ugly fly is a Brown/yellowish-olive with sparkle flash integrated in the material. Unfortunately the packaging doesn't give the color, so I have to shop a little blind until I find what looks like the right stuff. Fortunately the material doesn't change color much when wet, so what you see is what you get.

Here is the recipe for the damsel (but it sounds like you figured it out fairly well from your description ):

KGs Killer Damsel
Click the image to open in full size.
Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 14
Thread: 8/0 Olive
Ext. Body: Olive Marabou, 8-10 strands wrapped with tying thread down & back
Shellback: Olive Thinskin
Thorax: Palmered marabou
Eyes: Melted red mono

Good luck.

Kelly.