View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Just wanted to say I'm impressed with your tying. Everything you post on here looks perfect and delicious! Wish I had the time to get that good at it.

Curious, how often and when do you fish damselflies? I've fished plenty of places that have damselfly nymphs in the water, but I have never bother fishing with them. What time of year/conditions do you go to the Damsel? I've never really read anything about them; do they have a routine hatch?
Great question! I wish I could say I use damsels often, but I don't. It seems their emergence is about as predictable as the weather. A stillwater I know of in southeast Idaho enjoyed a damsel emergence last year that lasted May through August, which is highly unusual. Henry's Lake experiences an annual damsel event beginning sometime in July. When those bugs start to move the fish pay attention, but it's hard to hit it just right. On my favorite spring creek there are some damsels that emerge each year, yet, even though I fish that water quite often during the year, I've never once been able to pinpoint the emergence. I do remember one memorable July day when it was hot, no breeze and you could see fish lazing all over the place. I tied on a damsel nymph and was actively moving it through the water and I watched as a trout nowhere near the nymph came charging from more than 12 feet away to hammer that bug, while there were numerous closer fish who never even budged as the fly passed them - go figure.

We discovered a new stillwater destination last summer and tried many damselfly offerings with no luck, even though the conditions and timing seemed to be perfect. Therefore, even though I've come up with a pretty decent pattern, I don't often have the opportunity to fish it. I guess when they say that timing is everything they must be correct when it comes to damsel emergences. I'll keep trying though, and perhaps I'll hit it just right someday .

Kelly.