Thread: Bags / Packs
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bags / Packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I'm thinking about a new one this year, we'll see. Right now I'm using an old DB Dun waist pac I bought about 16yrs ago or more. Went to it when I finally gave up my Simms vest last year. It was just to cumbersome and hard to work with in the drift boat. I'm considering strongly the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

Click the image to open in full size.
I've been using the FP Guide whatever is for a few years and have yet to fall in love with it, so I don't think it will happen.

It functions nicely but the details that I can't get past are:
if you wear it around the waist behind you, when you need something you have to swing it around, then inevitably loosen the belt so you can loosen open the zippers to get inside. This is because to have it stay in place when behind you, it has to be cinched down everywhere really well. To gain access to larger pockets you have to loosen a few straps up. Not a huge deal, but...
I have not found a very good way to carry a net. If I feel like I might need one (feeling particularly hopeful one day) I stick the handle between my back and the pack. I works. I don't carry a net much.
The water bottle holders are a pain to actually get a water bottle into without using two hands...that's convenient. (Mine is 3 years old, maybe they have changed the design since) BUT they are the perfect beer can holder, especially a 16oz tall-boy.
No room for anything extra. You can smash a PB&J in there or a couple power bars but you can't take a reasonable lunch, and no jacket.

Now, sorry to be such a nit-picker, but for nearly $100, these things just don't function as well as they should. It is a summertime, couple hours on the water pack, IMO. If you are going to hike 3 miles and fish, this doesn't work because you can't carry extras. And you can't wear it along with a backpack either, it just doesn't work.

My quest for a really nice, functional pack without all sorts of molded plastics and gimmicky pockets continues. This Simms pack looks about there: Simms Fishing Products : : Headwaters? Tech Pack
It is simple, which is a big surprise looking at all the other new stuff they are making, holds a jacket, water, and food in a small back pack and the flies and tools you need for fishing on the front.