View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a couple of Killer Style patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Sometimes seethroughish is good (like the orange witch with one feather each side of chukkar flank), the wood cock feathers will be good for a lords killer (it takes 16-20 feathers) but they are hard to work with I have found the flatter the feather the harder to use it will be

Chris
I'm with Chris here. Wonderful what you find when you're not looking. Bit back found TWO full boxes of flies I purchased in NZ years back for fishing in that beautiful Country. (Guys, even if you have to skip the rod ... you won't ... MAKE THE TRIP!! Two Islands, and they're worlds apart as to what you'll find/see.)

Flies are from the late '90's and patterns I've seen nowhere else. Bits of Bunny, what the hell is that feather?, etc.

Chris, if you want to do a 'Labor of Love' post photos of the 'local patterns.' Many are unique to the Islands.

Chris gives you a tiny taste here: Classic New Zealand Streamers In post #78 you have a close cousin to one I've done (a 'Fred Pattern') that 'won' a small contest years back. The body was black chenille/oval or holographing tins. for a rib, with 'side wings' of red died Gold Pheasant feathers. All sorts of ways you can alter the colours with this, but 'it' makes for a striking fly (pun intended). I called it "The Body Bag." (No bad pun intended.)

Fred