View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fishing Pocket Water

Hi,

I'm a long ways from Colorado but I used to fish the river in question long ago. I fished the pockets two ways, in warm season I fished up stream using dry fly in size 14 - 16 and worked the current seams. In the winter months I used feather wings in size 4 - 6 and worked the same areas but with a decidedly different style due to the fly. I found some remarkable fish in the small eddies that are prolific on the river anywhere from the cable below the dam to the water below Deckers. The population drops below Deckers and I'm not sure why but when you had a trout take the streamers they were often hooked solidly. Fishing streamers in conditions like you have on the S.P. requires control of the fly, once you have your technique down the fish are not impossible in the least.

Although I have pulled fish from the swift stuff using nymphs, 95% of the time I was working a streamer through the river. The advice for nymphing comes from those with more experience at this type presentation so if you are concerned with nymphing I would follow the tips the members have given.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;