View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upstream or downstream....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Casting upstream and drifting down. Not only do you get a better drag free drift, Yat, how does that give you a "better drag free drift"? I think a good drift whether from upstream or below, is still a drag free drift. but since fish face upstream, when they take your fly you are setting the hook towards the rear, right into the corner of the trouts mouth. Agreed.The only downside side is the possibility of lining the fish. Long fine tippets and a well placed cast takes care of that.
Casting downstream, often times you will pull the hook right out of the fish's mouth when you set the hook. Personally I haven't noticed fewer hookups fishing this way. You still have to be patient and wait until the fish closes it's mouth and turns downward back into the water before setting the hook.
IMHO the biggest advantage to fishing downstream is the ability to pinpoint your presentation, thus, making one perfect offering versus 20 cast that look relatively good, but may be mere inches out of the trouts feeding window, sometimes being an inch or two one way or the other makes all the difference.

Please don't take me wrong here, a well cast quartered upstream presentation is a great tactic, but the downstream technique is my preferred approach, but certainly not the only one a fisherman should have in the arsenal.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Last edited by fysh; 03-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.