View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: battenkill mid arbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
what do you fish for. flyrichard.
I fish for trout in the small streams in Central PA. We have quite a few great streams around. I also do a lot of flyfishing in the Susquehanna, upstream of Harrisburg. If I was going for steelheads, I would use a 7wt and a neat reel just like you got.

A 5wt works best for me, even for smallmouth bass. I've tried a 6wt and a 7wt, but I really like the action and fight of the smaller, abundant fish. I have the greatest thrill catching fallfish (chubs) and rockbass and big sunfish that live in the river. Even small bass, <15", are so much fun with a 5wt. When I catch a 18"er, it just takes a little longer to bring in. I don't want to use heavy tackle just for the 1% of fish I catch. Besides the big bass just pull like a carp anyway. The 12"ers are the ones that jump like salmon and bend a 5wt bigtime.

I choose the SLA because it's so light. I actually got a size 1 (for 3wt & 4wt) and put it on my 9' 5wt. Even if the reel had a paw drag..... or no drag at all, I still would have purchased it.

Having said that, I also have a 9wt that I use for stripers and blues. No SLA on that outfit!

Fish On,
Rick