Thread: What Is A Fly?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 04:48 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default FLY OR NOT !!!

Yes, you got it Cliff.

It is not for any of us to form judgement against another for the way they choose to fish, be it with a fly rod, a bean pole or whatever else. It is your own choice which way you want to go.
I also have fished small artificial worms with the fly rod for smallmouth bass, on creeks and water like that, great fun, and it takes more to do it that effectivly than most persons would think . In some ways the use of the fly rod and how you can fish the lure is in my view more effective than by other rod and line methods, in those circumstances. You really do have some great means of control by way of depth, getting into tight spots and fishing the lure. Of course l could tie a san juan worm, but hey all that amounts to is a chunk of chenille tied to a hook.!! Nothing very innovative about that one.

My Halford and Mr Skues, had of course a considerable difference in how they approached catching fish with a fly rod. Halford was very likely the person who was responsible for what is called the purist way of thought.

Dry fly, upstream ole boy,--- in fact that still is the rule on some private beats of the chalkstreams in the UK. But that is ok, you are aware of the rules before you choose to fish such waters. Your choice to or not.

One of my old friends back in the UK wrote at one time, If it is your choice to go and cast a dry fly all day on the water for little or no fish, that is your choice. Mine is to be out there fishing and catch em, as many as l can by the rules and regs that apply. And l agree whole heartedly with that.

One of his thoughts was that many of those that were critical of his success were not either able to fish the way he did ,or it was a means to justify the reason why they could not, ( the purist attitude )
I agree with that one also.
A fish is a fish, regardless of species. Many may well hold the trout in high esteem, but consider other species to be a trash fish, l have never really understood that way of thinking.

At the end of the day you are of course entitled to draw your own conclusions on this matter.

Bet you would not be sad if you nailed a 20lb Brown on a plastic worm ! How many would say nothing about that catch !!!!.

Tight lines, by whatever means you can achieve them

DW

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS