View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM

acoustic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waders - Comparing Brands

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. One question - how much of an issue is packability/portability for waders in general? The Orvis ones seem to stress that it's a great feature, but I don't have experience in this. It's very likely that I'll want to fly with waders several times a year. It'll be a long time before I can afford two pairs.

Also, I've asked a similar question, comparing cheap Simms and expensive Orvis, on a different site, and I found both there and here that people tend to not be fans of Orvis at all. Well, not so much as not liking Orvis, but mentioning that Simms are great. I appreciate the advice, but can someone explain why Orvis isnt a good choice? I feel like I've seen plenty of reasons why Simms is great, and it's clear that everyone thinks theyre the best, but I don't know why Orvis is bad. I'm not trying to defend them, so don't get me wrong, I'm trying to learn more.

I completely understand the idea that Simms does just fly fishing gear and that's better than going for a brand that puts out a lot of "lifestyle" products. But Cabelas and LL Bean do this too, and it seems that Orvis is much more specialized to fly equipment than either of those two. Thanks!