Thread: Nautilus FWX
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nautilus FWX

For those looking for a Nautilus reel with a stronger drag, I would focus on testing out a Nautilus CCF or Nautilus NV. Both of these reels would fit the niche for salmon, steelhead, bonefish, permit, etc., where a premium is placed on drag strength. The NV offers a stronger version of the CCF drag.

I would recommend the FWX to anyone looking for a high quality trout or bass reel.

As for color, I own one FW 5 and one FWX 3/4, both in black. I always listen to anglers discuss whether or not glare off of silver or titanium colored reels spooks fish. Since the water I fish with each of these could be shallow, clear, and small, I figure black is the way to go, that way I do not have to worry about the glare / no glare debate. Nautilus also offers many different custom colored reels and parts if you really want to spend extra cash.

As mentioned earlier, both of these reels are very light which was important to me when balancing rods that are generally lighter than most others on the market. I emailed Nautilus to ask them about the drag on the original FW and they replied that the reel would distribute a max of 5 pounds of drag force. The new FWX seems to be the same. I'm also a fan of the aluminum drag knob. I prefer it over the plastic knobs on competitor's reels. I have no complaints and have been very happy with the quality of machining.

Last edited by chicagojohn; 03-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.