View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rite Bobbin, Stonfo Elite, or Nor-Vise Bobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfromboston View Post
. . . But I am intrigued with the ekich bobbin now. No loading and similar responsiveness to nor vise . Pricey yes. But how many do you need?
I have an Ekich bobbin. While I don't have a Nor-Vise bobbin, I also have several Rite Bobbins.

I bought the Ekich bobbin because - unlike the Nor-Vise - it is well-suited to light threads for small (# 22-32) flies. While double the cost of a Nor-Vise (before numerous required extra-cost spools), it also doesn't require extra uniquely-sized spools for spooling different threads on. In addition, the Nor-Vise states in its own literature that it doesn't work well with the lighter threads needed for smaller flies. As for the Rite-Bobbin, while its changeable tension works well for the lighter threads required for mid-20's flies commonly used in tailwaters, changing out a spool for a different color is a nightmare. Pragmatically, you'd need another Rite-Bobbin for each different-colored spool used, since it's such a hassle to change out the spool. This is not the case with the Ekich, as it is easy to change out standard-sized thread spools without the tension-adjusting hassle required of Rite-Bobbins.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on this Forum, I don't have enough experience yet with the Ekich Automatic Bobbin to write a Gear Review on it yet. However, I can certainly say that it has been by far the easiest bobbin to use on light threads like my mid-20s tailwater flies require. It doesn't break these light threads, and with its adjustable tension it's easy to hang on the vise's bobbin holder when not needed. A special word on its tension modulation - this is critical when using super-light threads like required for tiny tailwater flies: there is NO OTHER bobbin that works as well with light threads, PERIOD.