View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing watercraft design

The traditional fly fishing craft around here is the canoe. It's rare to see anyone in a tube or pontoon. Prams/jon boats are popular too
Personally I fish fresh water ponds and rivers from my canoe, but in the salt I use a kayak. The kayak is more stable in rough water and covers distance faster. The canoe is roomier and allows for standing. While the canoe is heavier, it's actually easier to portage and therefore if I need to carry in to launch, that gets the nod.
A lot of folks outfit their kayaks with rod holders, fish finders, anchor trolleys etc . I'm a minimalist and don't see the need.
When I fish from the canoe I rarely get out. In the kayak, I might plan on beaching and fish from shore, so I'll wear waders in season

I also have a couple of float tubes. One is kept at camp where it's handy to fish a certain remote pond. The one at home hasn't been used in years