View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Sale- Regal Medallion Series Vise

H dot

Just a suggestion you might want to try before you give up on the Regal-- or if you want to try tying on small hooks
while you're waiting to sell it....

I've tied trout and saltwater flies on Regal Medallions with the "big game" jaws for a bazillion years, and it can be very difficult to tie on small size hooks in the jaws in the "standard position" of the jaws in line with the hook--- ie if you're a righty, with the jaws pointing to the right, in line with hook shank. In the "standard position for a righty, if ">" is the jaws, and "*" is a fly, in the standard position for a righty it would look sorta like this:
>*

Instead, for tying on small hooks, try pointing the jaws straight up, and put the hook in the jaws at right angles to the direction of the jaws-- sorta like this
^

....it will give you a lot more clearance, especially behind the hook to tie on tails etc.

I'm not near my vises now but i can take pics if that will help, and will post them on Monday.

Best regards,