View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mid priced 5 wts.

I've only fished with one rod from that group, the Fli, but I have 2 of them. I started with a 9 1/2 ft 6 wt and liked it so much that I've added the 9 ft 5 wt. Both of mine are 4 peice. I have a couple other 5 wts. and the Fli is definitely the fastest of the lot. I use a DT floating line for closer work and also have a WF sinking line when I want to get a little deeper. The WF line is a 6 wt line. The DT is a 5 wt line. I originally thought the rod would be too fast for my taste; my other rods are noticiably slower but as I used the Fli, I really got to enjoy the fast action. My casting is so-so but I can definitely cast these things better than any of my others because of the tighter loops I assume. Obviously, if you have the chance, try as many as you can because I'm not sure about the actions of the other rods. I own an 8ft., an 8 1/2 ft and the 9 ft. in 5 wts. but really prefer the versatility of the 9 ft. It really isn't too long for the majority of situations, it makes mending easier and makes it easier to work streamers and wet flies on bigger streams and rivers. Plus, if you end up nymphing, the extra length is nice for that too.l Whatever you end up with......Enjoy!