View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough
Default Re: An Angler of the American Civil War

At first I was not going to read your piece. Then the words "Civil War" caught my eye and I had to read on. Your piece kept my attention all the way through. Very good work. I'd like to read the book if it comes out. If it is already out, I'll head on down to my local book store and pick it up.

On a more personal note, my great great grandfather commanded a lot of the Forida and part of the Alabama troops in the war. The people the brigades and regiments were named after were not always there, rather they were home trying to raise more money and men for the fight. In many cases the history books will call a regiment or a brigade by it's founder's name when in fact my great great grandfatehr was actually in command. We was on the right flank of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg; commanding Perry's Brigade of Anderson's Divison. He commanded many of the Confederate troops that kept the Union from crossing the Rappahannock River at Fredericksburg. He fought in the Wilderness. From what I have been told he was at Cold Harbor and Bloody Angle, as a Regimental Commander. His last battle was Petersburg. The crater that blew up the Confederate lines was immediately adjacent to his left flank. It was his men that lined up around the rim of the crater and killed so many Union troops like "shooting fish in a barrel" someone once told me. He was supposed to be at Appomattox, but illness and wounds kept him from making the trip.

I go on too long. I enjoyed your article and hope the book will be or is already published. I still read about the Civil War and this looks like a good read.

Thanks,

Bob Lang
USMA 1972