View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mid priced 5 wts.

I own a 9' 2pc 5wt Sage FLi and I love that rod!! A 9' 5wt is great for sunfish and small bass....... tomorrow I'm using mine for trout in a small stream.

I like a 9' the best, even in a small stream. It's so easy to flip a streamer or a nymph.

But....... you mentioned the Orvis Clearwater II rods. My Sage is 3 1/2oz, the same as the Legend Ultra but the Clearwater is only 3 1/8oz!!Looking at the Clearwater specs, a 2pc 9' 8wt is 3 1/2oz with the big handle ..... the same as my 5wt Sage!!

Also I paid $255 for my Sage, while the lighter Clearwater is only $159! I should have checked them out, but the rods are a stupid looking blue. I guess they have some gay designers now! LOL St Croix did the same thing last year....... crappy bright colors to get more sales!

And the Orvis has a mid flex or tip flex. Has anyone on the site casted the Clearwater II Rods? They are lighter than any rods, except the top shelf $700 stuff. What's going on?