View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM

Flyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud ofFlyfisher for men has much to be proud of
Default Re: How many for a rookie?

BigCliff is right on target. Five different flies with 2 duplicates would probably serve you well.

Two other options: When I first fished for trout, I went into a local flyshop, bought a license, and asked the man behind the counter for a couple of appropriate leaders and ten flies that would work in the stream. He set me up with several flies that I know now are are old standards in trout fishing and a couple that worked really well in that particular stream. If you've got a flyshop in your area, that might be a way to do it.

Another possibility is to get a box of ten to fifteen assorted basic flies appropriate to the species. They have them in many shops and stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro.